Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another serger lesson & another apron


Today I finished another apron. It too is retro in style but with a new bohemian fabric. I think my sister will love this one too.


My serger lesson was to learn how to use the ruffling foot. I got out my serger book and all of the feet that came with the serger and some scraps of fabric for practice. The instructions tell you to "use your left hand to hold this piece and your right hand to hold this piece". Then you need to use your other left hand to guide this piece thru the slop and your other right hand to make sure that the flat piece stays next to the cutting blades. And, if you have a spare hand, you can guide the finished ruffle out the back of the machine.


Well, I don't know - I only have one right hand and one left hand. Then whole thing felt BEYOND awkward! However, the resulting ruffle was gorgeous and done without sewing those basting lines and pulling up threads to gather. This will certainly take more practice, but it will be worth it!

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I think we have the same sergers. Babylock? I have not played with my new serger, but you've inspired me with the ruffle on this cute apron!

    ReplyDelete