Saturday, September 22, 2012

Summer of 2012

It's been a busy Summer and I can't believe that the first day of Fall is already here.  Some of the projects that I have been working on are a "big girl" quilt for one of my granddaughters.  I used a layer cake from Moda's "Snippets" line.  It made a bright, cheery, girly quilt for little Caris.

 

I also started a class from Craftsy on using "pre-cuts".  I have quite a number of layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls and fat quarter bundles.  I am anxious to learn some neat ways to use them.  My first project is a Jacob's Ladder quilt.  The pattern actually called for a jelly roll + a layer cake.  I have layer cakes and I have jelly rolls but not one of each that would play nicely together.   So, I investigated ways to cut fat quarters in order to get the cuts that I needed.  Did you know that you can cut a fat quarter so that you get 1) a 10" square or layer cake size; 2) 4 5" squares, charm pack size; 3) some 2 1/2" strips ( jelly roll size); and some 1 1/2 inch strips.  WOW!   Here is my start on a Jacob's Ladder quilt using fabric from the Heritage line from Moda.





 

Pretty huh?  I'll keep working on it.  I hope it doesn't become another one of my UFOs!

I also got a bug to empty my huge bin of 2 1/2" strip scraps.  One of my quilty friends, Karen did a gorgeous controlled scrappy quilt from the Garden Trellis pattern out of the book Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam & Nicky Lintott .  I was off.  And, believe it or not, I used all by 3 or 4 of my 2 1/2 " strips! 

No comments:

Post a Comment